The City of Portland’s Arborist, Jeff Tarling, reports that this year’s tree – which is scheduled to be delivered to Monument Square on Thursday, November 18 – was found yet again by coincidence. The 40' Balsam Fir, located on Epping Street in the Riverton area of Portland, is being donated by Patricia Olsen.
“City staff noticed the tree last summer while doing tree work in the area,” said Tarling. “The tree was originally dug up in Pownal, Maine and transplanted in the backyard of the donor along with two others. Richard Olsen, the late husband of the donor, planted the tree in the early 1980's; it was a gift from his sister, Althaea White. Fifteen years ago, the Olsen’s offered us a smaller Blue Spruce for Monument Square but the tree had a double top making the tree infeasible to move.”
“Both Richard and Althaea have passed away, but I know my husband would have been very happy that his tree was going to be the Portland Christmas tree this year,” said Patricia Olsen.
The tree will be moved on Thursday morning beginning around 8:00 AM, with the tree leaving the site around 9:00 AM. The tree route will be via Forest Avenue to State Street, then left onto Congress Street to Monument Square (pending construction work zone review).
Special thanks to: Shaw Brothers Construction for donating the large flatbed truck to move the tree; Keeley Crane Service for providing a crane; the City’s Parks & Recreation Forestry crew for transporting, installing, and lighting the tree; and to Portland Police and Parking Control for their assistance in escorting the tree safely to Monument Square.
Monument Square Tree Cam Returns!
For the 2nd year, Portland Downtown will host the 24/7 live-streaming “Tree Cam” overlooking Monument Square, creating a virtual window so that visitors locally – and across the globe – can enjoy the illuminated tree and its surroundings anytime, anywhere throughout the holiday season. Whether it’s at home, in the office, or in person – one of downtown’s most spectacular holiday sights will be just a click away!
How to enjoy the Tree Cam:
- View the live-stream anytime – 24/7 – Beginning Friday, November 26 c. 4:00 PM at portlandmaine.com/tree. The Tree Cam can be viewed on your mobile device, tablet, or desktop computer. Enter full-screen mode by clicking the icon in the bottom right corner of the video frame.
- Catch a sneak peak of the installation in real time! The tree is scheduled to be delivered to Monument Square around 9:00 AM on Thursday, November 18th. Portland Downtown will be testing the camera for a few hours that morning; follow their social channels for the preview announcement, see below.
- Cast the live-stream to your Smart TV for a festive backdrop while you’re wrapping presents or enjoying Hood® Eggnog around the fireplace.
- Please note: While there will not be a scheduled “countdown” to the lighting of the tree, it will be illuminated at dusk (c. 4:00 PM) Black Friday (November 26). Gathers can enjoy free Hood Eggnog® from 3:00 – 5:00 pm via the Hood Eggnog® truck on Monument Square. Please wear a mask and practice social distancing should you visit Monument Square.
- Check in on the tree & its surroundings throughout the season. Monument Square is beautiful after a gentle snowfall!
- Follow Portland Downtown on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter for fun updates.