Friends of Woodfords Corner
Established: Friends of Woodfords Corner (FWC), began September 2015, when Woodfords Corner area neighbors came together to engage in community/city development, specifically the MDOT Traffic Pattern Change, City of Portland “Transforming Forest Avenue,” and City of Portland Storm Water Separation projects. All of which would greatly impact the corner. We became a formally organized non-profit 501(c)(3) entity August 30, 2017 and a Main Street Affiliate in January 2019.
Area: The FWC organization represents an area starting at the center of the Woodfords Corner 5-point intersection and extending about a ½ mile radius outward. This area is comprised of 4 different neighborhoods – ROSEMONT, DEERING CENTER, WOODFORDS-OAKDALE AND BACK COVE and is a mix of businesses, residences and organizations. It’s also spans 2 city council districts.
Mission: To collaborate with residents, businesses, organizations, neighborhood associations, and the City of Portland and Maine governments in the revitalization of the Woodfords Corner area. By giving this area a sense of identity and cohesion, we hope to create a useful, safe, walkable, and attractive corner hub. We focus on increasing community engagement, influencing design of public spaces, and supporting hyper-local economic vitality.
* Advocate on behalf of Woodfords Corner residents and businesses to ensure the city and state acts in the best interest of the neighborhood
- Improve Sidewalk, Crosswalk and Snow Removal Maintenance
- Improve Pedestrian, Bicycle and Car Traffic Flow and Safety
- Monitor City Public Service Projects
* Promote Community Engagement to create a welcoming, cohesive & safe community
- Communicate News, Events, and Project Updates
- Host Events & Meetings to Socialize, Inform & Support Corner Businesses and Residents
- Communicate News, Events, Issues & Business and City Matters
* Create a Sustainable, Vibrant and Enjoyable Village
- Engage Existing Businesses and Attract New Businesses to Create a Desirable Village Center
- Create, Improve and Maintain Public Green Spaces
- Host Neighborhood Events to Embrace, Support and Take Advantage of Area Offerings
Membership: Anyone living or working within or outside of the WC neighborhood, who believes in our mission may become a member. There are no membership dues. FWC is made possible by the effort of its volunteers, and the generosity of donors and sponsors.