The Licensing and Registration Office administers the rental housing registration and schedules the property inspections for buildings that contain short term and long term rental units within the City of Portland. All property owners are required to annually register residential rental units with the City's licensing and registration Office by December 31st or within thirty (30) days of renting a property. This includes rooms, apartments, condominiums, and houses.
Guidance on Rental Units
- Long term (>30 days) - Leased or month-to-month residential units; or
- Short term (<30 days) - Any type of overnight, weekly or summer or seasonal residential rental through AirBnB, similar websites and other means
Completing an annual registration for residential rental property includes:
- Providing contact information for the City to:
- Schedule an inspection appointment with the owner or property manager.
- Communicate with the owner or property manager to resolve an issue with a building.
- Contact the owner or property manager in an emergency.
- Submitting documentation for the eligible discounts requested; and
- Paying for the residential rental registration.
Download your registration form now: Rental Housing Registration, then complete and email to:
Due to COVID19, our office is temporarily closed to the public, however, we are happy to assist you by phone or email. For more information about the registration process contact the Licensing and Registration Office by phone at (207) 756-8131 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Check the status of a registration on our Citizen Self Service (CSS) Portal, by clicking this link and selecting "Business License" in the search drop-down box, then choose the license type.
Submit your Discount Documents by mail or email to email@example.com .
Pay the Registration Fee Online or mail your check to City of Portland, Licensing & Registration, 389 Congress St, Rm 307, Portland Maine 04101. Please reference your Registration Number or Address when you make your payment. Complete invoice number is required for online payment.
Pay the Registration Fee using a Credit Card or e-check Online
A representative from our department will contact you to schedule an inspection of the property. Please use the confirmation to notify your tenants in advance. Inspections are conducted Monday through Saturday from 8:30 AM - 4:00 PM. For more information about rental inspections, please visit our Rental Inspections page.
The Licensing and Registration Office temporarily closed to the public due to COVID19; however is available by phone or email at the below hours:
8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Wednesday
9:00 am to 4:30 pm Thursday & Friday.